Fun family vacation ideas
A list within a list, here’s a look at five historic hotel resorts that cater to families with these fun family vacation ideas.
French Lick Springs Hotel
best family vacations
A classic American hotel in the heart of the Hoosier National Forest, this Indiana family resort keeps a steady pulse on all the things that kids adore with its own list of fun family vacation ideas.
1. The KidsFest Lodge is the ultimate hangout for youngsters, complete with cooking lessons, stable adventures and seasonal activities.
2. Families can play a game of FootGolf, combining elements of golf and soccer on the historic Valley Links Course.
3. No matter the weather, kids always have fun thanks to indoor tennis, basketball, swimming and bowling (at the resort’s six-lane bowling alley).
4. With five miles of hiking trails, families can explore the Hoosier National Forest, where the area’s renowned salt licks attract wildlife.
5. When the kids say they want a pony for Christmas, take them to French Lick Springs Hotel for kid-friendly pony rides and 45 to 90-minute trail rides.
Hilton Hawaiian Village®
Waikiki Beach Resort
As Waikiki’s only resort, Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Resort is an Oahu favorite for families venturing to Hawaii for kid-friendly vacations.
1. With five pools, including Waikiki’s largest super pool and the island’s longest water slides, kids will have little reason to want to leave the resort.
2. To add to the water fun, this historic hotel boasts its own five-acre salt-water lagoon, plus the widest stretch of Waikiki beach on the South Shore.
3. At Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort, where Hawaiian culture inspires the experience, guests can learn the art of lei making, hula dancing and ukulele playing.
4. On Friday nights, families can enjoy Waikiki’s only weekly fireworks show, a spectacle that lights up Waikiki Beach for a glittering, colorful display.
5. Waikiki’s only outdoor luau features the fiery drama of four fire knife dancers, as well as traditional Samoan, Tahitian and Hawaiian dance.
The Grand Hotel's
fun family vacation ideas
Known as America’s Summer Place, Mackinac Island’s Grand Hotel was named one of North America’s best family-friendly resorts by Travel + Leisure magazine.
1. A quintessential summer pastime, lawn games, like croquet, bocce ball and duck pin bowling, bring out the fun in everyone.
2. Explore Mackinac Island. With eight miles of shore and seventy miles of trails, families can venture off for beach rock hunts, group carriage tours and family bike rides.
3. Mackinac Island plays host to the third oldest live butterfly exhibit in the United States, the 1,800-square-foot Original Mackinac Island Butterfly & Insect World, filled with hundreds of butterflies.
4. A 220-foot-long, heated swimming pool will complete the family vacation. Shaped like a serpentine, Esther Williams Swimming Pool overlooks the Straits of Mackinac.
5. For families looking to make Grand Hotel’s tradition their own, the resort offers a special package that secure a reduced rate for the next quarter century.
The Emily Morgan San Antonio,
a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
The most luxurious of family vacations start at The Emily Morgan San Antonio – a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel. Named “the official hotel of the Alamo,” this historic hotel is immersed with San Antonio attractions.
1. The Alamo, a San Antonio historic landmark, treats families to “a story bigger than Texas,” recounting the battle against thirteen Texans and the Mexican Army.
2. The Emily Morgan San Antonio is only two blocks from the River Walk, where families can take a tour-guided boat ride on the famous river.
3. From marine-life shows to jaw-dropping rides, San Antonio features one of only three SeaWorld parks in the U.S. for wet and wild family fun.
4. For more waterpark fun, families can visit Splashtown San Antonio, just three minutes north of downtown, featuring more than fifty rides and attractions.
5. Kids will be astounded at Ripley’s Believe It or Not!, where one-of-a-kind oddities are showcased at this San Antonio family favorite.
Omni Mount Washington Resort,
Bretton Woods family vacations
A New Hampshire family resort, luxury meets family fun at the Omni Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Woods, a wooded estate surrounded by the recreational-induced Bretton Woods. Looking for fun family vacation ideas? Start with this Omni list.
1. Bretton Woods boasts 464 acres of pristine skiing and snowboarding with 62 trails, 35 glades and three terrain parks, voted the East’s best ski resort by Ski Magazine.
2. The resort’s Mount Pleasant course offers pressure-free golf for the family with junior tee locations, family-friendly pin placement and a six-hole round option.
3. Bretton Woods offers its very own canopy tour for high-flying fun, the longest zip line tour in New England and one of the longest in the continental United States.
4. At the Omni Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Woods, families can take to the outdoors for archery, biking, fishing, hiking and rock climbing fun.
5. Kids can enjoy the thrill of off-roading all the while safely within the confines of their own ATV park. With hills, turns and straightaways, the course is designed just for youngsters.